Sunday 9 June 2013

When Custer went to school

Custer had his first day at Puppy Class today with Arthur Telfair here http://www.dogtrainingsouthport.com/upperaughton/ it was an early start as due to it being so warm out I had to walk Jaja first, and be at class for 9.30am.  We did take the camera to record the event but for some reason the battery had decided not to charge, so sadly no pics this time.  Just the one above which was Custer when we got home around 12.30pm, he was a bit tired by then!  As was I.

It was outdoors which was good for Custer I thought, he did okay with the dogs he met - still lunging away at them, but did not show any aggression this time, I think the relaxed atmosphere of the class was a big help to us all.  I felt more confident knowing nothing could go wrong with the help from my OH being there and from the dog trainer, and the other students are all training their dogs the same way to 'focus on them' and not the other dogs, so that helped a lot too.

Of course Custer has no focus at all!  aside from lunging at other dogs and trying to eat the stones on the floor, but he had a few lessons on how to walk on the lead, as this early class is for 'heel work' and I had some lessons on how to teach Custer to focus on me a bit more.  Having spent an hour or so being dragged around a field, I am not sure who was more tired - but we had plenty of encouragement and I do feel there is 'hope' that one day Custer will become a joy to own and walkies will not be so much of a challenge each day.  I am to do more practice in a quieter area, so I think I have that one sussed for the week, and I hope to show some improvement by next week.

It is now teatime, and Custer appears to have recovered nicely... see how he found this 'cling film' inner to steal and run off with earlier....
Will be interesting to see how the evening walk goes, I have also been taught to just concentrate on his actual walking not the 'sit and stays' while I am out, just one thing at a time - makes more sense of course.
Still have the evening to go, but so far another positive day - thats two together, pretty good going.

2 comments:

  1. Have just caught up on Custer's progress while I have been away.

    He does seem to be making some progress and I do so admire your perseverance in keeping going.

    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley, I think enough people have given up on him during his short life - each day we see a little sadness in him (aside from the naughtiness) which is how we keep going. Must do another update tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete