Sunday 23 June 2013

He is STILL here

Amazing as this is, Custer is STILL here.  Though I confess, last Sunday was a close call for him.

I have spent the week doing 3 training sessions per day, usually quite short but 3 per day.  Sometimes some of that time is just spent at the end of the driveway learning to 'sit' quietly and watch the world go by, I think Custer still needs time to get used to the world outdoors.

I would say that dog club on Wednesday was pretty much like the week before, still trying to lunge at the other dogs most of the time.

Today was gundog training day, despite having worked so hard all week I really did not feel I was making that much progress.  However, my trainer and another respected gundog chap both said I had done well and there was a marked improvement from last week.  Cant say I could see it myself, I felt I was still spending the hour being dragged around, and still came out feeling like I had done 10 rounds with 'Tyson'. But those watching said he was doing much better.  One lady who was also training, asked if I had a different dog? so although I could not see any progress others could, so I suppose that is something.

I must say I have NEVER met such a stubborn dog.  Even my Mum who also knows her dogs could not believe it when she visited yesterday and Custer was determined to dominate her at all times, she now understands how when I say it is a running battle from getting up in the morning, until bedtime I am not exagerating at all.
One of the professional dog walkers on my walk (with the other dogs) wonders if the effects of his castration might kick in eventually, we 'suspect' he was only neutered in early May - so may yet have another 2 - 6 months for hormones to settle down.

Another of my neighbours was telling me she had a similar battle with a rescue Goldie, took a year but turned to the best dog she ever had............ could this be Custer?  I keep thinking back to my late Labradors, so different to him. Our first boy Tigger was such a dream, and the best Labrador ever (really must do a page for him), Tess of course was very timid, Alfie was difficult to begin with but not dominant with people, very loving and until his early demise was coming on really well (he has a page on the right, the most handsome dog ever).

We have been back from dog training about 3 hours now and he has just woke up, I do think I am more worn out than him though.. I could sleep on a clothes line just now.  Must be doggie tea time I think.

Will try keep the blog updated more, but little to day all week really was just most of the same.  I also keep forgetting to take pictures.

One more thing though, we took the dogs out for their evening stroll last night and it rained very heavily, we all got totally drowned.  Custer is frightened of the rain!  Have you ever seen the like? a Labrador who is scared of water?

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are still battling on Lynda.

    I was beginning to get a bit worried.

    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yes that did occur to me after my last post, sorry. Not sure what I will have to waffle on about this week, as no dog club for 2 weeks and no gundog training this week either, Arthur is doing a show. Will have to see how we get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with it Lynda. I think you are doing really well.

    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete