Saturday 8 June 2013

Another Day in the life of 'yellow dog'

Custer's new coat arrived, unfortunatly its too big, and too hot for him - and he is not keen on things over his head on a good day, so not going well.  We do have our badges and car stickers though to still promote the concept, and the yellow ribbons.

Further to my last post I discovered Custer is not hurling himself at random people, its little old ladies he does not like, especially one's with grey hair.  So, I have managed to sort this out now with a  'firm' LEAVE command now I know what the trigger is.  He is totally fine with children, teenagers, men etc its just older women he has a problem with.

It was two weeks yesterday since Custer came into our life, I would like to say the time has flown but it has been a tricky time - but I have to say Custer is doing great, for such a short time he is learning fast, and his own sweet personality is in there somewhere, just needs coaching out.

I just got back from our evening walkies with 'Daddy' and 'Jaja' and its the best walk I have had so far, with just a half check chain and ordinary lead, no halti, no harness - the boy did great, I even got him passed two dogs with a treat (ok they were on the other side of the road, but still a plus for Custer) and escaped an old lady who charged over to fuss the dogs, eeeeeeeeeeek!!! that was a bit scary, but I got him out of the way with treats whilst 'Daddy' and 'Jaja' allowed the fussing thing.  No lunging or barking.

Tomorrow is a big day, as we go to the gundog trainer and his puppy class - sure he will be fine, so its a very early start tomorrow as its so hot here I need to walk Jaja before taking Custer to training.  Just hoping he is as laid back as this tomorrow...


2 comments:

  1. Glad you found the trigger and that you feel he is responding well to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tash, keeping us on our toes still.

    ReplyDelete