Thursday 8 January 2015

Training the Reactive Dog, Day 3

Today's lesson was one for me (again).  A headache and bad nights sleep do not make for a good morning's training.  Today did not go so well.  The only plus side is Custer is doing better in the car, I think as we are now returning from our walk when the schools are starting up the amount of people passing by when the car is stuck in the traffic is now having a desensitive affect.  On day one, instead of shouting when he was 'about' to freak out at the sight of a passing dog, I quietly said 'no Cus' and passed him a treat.  Day Two he lay down when he saw the same dog.

The rest of the time was not good, he had no focus and getting the muzzle on was a battle and a half, then he got it off twice - I was struggling with the leads and a poo bag, and short on patience which was of course doing neither of us any favours.  Having watched an excellent video on muzzle training yesterday I began that way of training when I pulled up outside the house, and will practice all weekend so he gets to like the idea better.  It is a learning curve for us both.

For today's rant I must mention the level of driving at school time.  Here is a tip for you drivers, why dont you try setting off in good time for School? Instead of yelling abuse at anyone who happens 'in your opinion' to be in your way? To the man in the large posh car who pulled out infront of me, then hurled abuse at me, were you surprised when you got it back? not my finest moment I know, but I will not be bullied by some bad tempered 'twit' who cannot set off on time for school and clearly needs to re-take his test to learn about right of way on the roads.  Then we wonder why the next generation turn out the way they do, when this is what they are taught en route to the school yard? Also explains why dogs react in the same way maybe?  Perhaps we all need a lesson in patience? I should have smiled at the man really and not let him provoke me so, something else I need to work on.......

No comments:

Post a Comment