Sunday 18 August 2013

Custer the Gundog

Yes, this is of course in the place were I have my dreams, not 'quite' a reality.  These photo's were taken the other week at gundog/puppy training school, when 'Daddy' decided he would have a try just to see if it was Custer that was just naughty or me that was just useless.
The verdict was it was Custer who was naughty!!! This was however the class we found Custer had a great interest in the 'dummy' though, which gave us hope (we are always searching for hope).

I have spent all last week, every day (and most of the week before) training Custer in a quiet place.  I have taught him to walk with me, find the dummy and retrieve.. At today's class you would have thought I had actually spent the entire two weeks with Custer locked in a cupboard, his behavoir was nothing short of appauling, and very embarrassing to say the least.  I really do not 'get it', yes there was distractions in class and a lot of retrieve, but he just reverted back to the dog we brought home from rescue 3 months ago?  I know I shouldnt but I am so disappointed.
Totally, back to the beginning yet again tomorrow.  I now have to teach him 'LEAVE IT' as he clearly had no idea what that meant today.  I have 2 weeks to try drill this into him for next class, as there is no class next week.
This is what we aim for one day............... wonder if we will ever reach that day? of course these dogs have been with their owners since pups, and are well bred gundogs.
Unlike our Custer who is a rescue Labrador, on his fourth home - with no training before us, and one bad home we know of.  This week I was trying to execute the flies in the kitchen with a rolled up paper, I had enough of them and the plot was lost! well.............. I ended up having to live with the flies as Custer was in pieces, the rolled up paper had sent him over the edge, he had seen that before and not after flies, the sight of him so scared brought tears to my eyes.
Then, there was yesterday............... in the kitchen........... Custer going totally beserk and barking like mad at the unit base? this went on for sometime, I was convinced we had mice, OH had to go remove the cupboard base to see what was behind it, the culpret for all this fuss??............. was a garlic skin, Custer attacked it with venom, especially when it strayed menacingly towards his Dad.

He still wont let poor Bailey in the car, so we now get him out and put Bailey in, then all is well.

Just as I think things are going quite well, things seem to go backwards? I really don't remember this happening with any of my rescue dogs before, this one really is 'Unique'.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lynda you must be so frustrated.

    How sad that Custer was so frightened of the rolled up newspaper.

    I am sure you will get there eventually, it is such a pity that he can't tell you about the things he is scared of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very sad that Custer was scared of the rolled up newspaper, and very disappointing for you that he's not making the progress you'd hoped for. Hopefully one day things will 'click' for him and he'll turn into a well behaved dog, well you can't be blamed for dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies, it is very sad. Maybe one day the fear will leave.

    ReplyDelete