Wednesday 29 May 2013

Time Restrictions

Bit short on time today, and will be really till next Monday - will try keep up here, but apologies if I dont manage it.
Both dogs had me up at 4am today, no idea why - Custer decided he might as well have a wee as we were up, Jaja just wagged his tail as he had got Mummy up? We have since found out there was an earth tremor in North Wales, which is a distance from us, but its not impossible for it to have been felt by animals, my friend was up at this time with her's too.
But then Jaja and his side kick Custer thought 6am would be good to go too, afraid they got a snarl a piece then, we are up for the alarm at 6.20am anyway, that 20 mins is very valuable.

So, today's walkies was under control - Custer still fought like a spoilt brat for all of it, but I did manage to keep him off the floor.  There is so much hope for this boy, he was very naughty last night, tried to get on the back of the sofa to get above me, then push into my space, had to throw him off altogether and ignore him for the night, I usually let him in the bathroom too, but no.. shut the door on him.  When it was time to go to sleep he came around to me, lowered his head and licked my nose.. I like to think he was saying sorry, so I gave him a kiss back and told him 'good boy, go lay down now' and he did.  So.. hope there is.  I was also talking to one of the walkers earlier today when I had Jaja and Bailey, she was telling me that her BIG and I mean BIG lad Max, was the same at 9 months old, he too used to launch himself at the floor at walk times, she advised a halti and a harness.
Good news is Max is a wonderful dog now he is about six, and a Giant friendly boy.

I have been busy with chores etc today, so Custer has been left a couple of hours in his crate.  Part of the dominance thing is I have to make him wait now before I let him out, I think I am winning on this one too, I wait till he is calm.  We have been out and played ball, and I have taught him the word 'swapsies' to swap the ball for a small treat, so he is giving it back now and learnt the word.

Big night tonight, as Custer is going to dog school - just going to sit and watch tonight, see how bad he is with other dogs in a safe place.  I had hoped his 'yellow dog coat' would have arrived by now, but no.  No lead, coat or harness has arrived yet.  One of the girls at dog school is bringing me a gencol tonight? no ... I am not sure either, but she has suggested it might help.  She has a rescue cocker spaniel who is very hand shy, worked absolute wonders with this dog, so totally understands the needs of a rescue boy.

Not sure If I mentioned, I wont be around so much as we have our fund raising event this weekend, set up tomorrow for Friday, Saturday, Sunday.  We run a tombola and a dog show, at Southport Town and Country Fair, to raise funds for local and other dog rescues, we are 'Woof Beginnings' and have been raising funds for about six years now.
I know, it was not the best time to be getting a rescue dog - and we are not sure how we are going to go on with Custer, just hoping its not too hot and he can stay in the car behind me on the stall, hopefully my friend Sylvia will be there some of the time to help out, otherwise as usual it will be just the two of us trying to do it all.  Makes for a very tiring weekend.
Tomorrow, I have to walk the dogs, do the shopping for the week (usually go Friday) walk the old dog I walk at lunchtimes, take Mum to her hospital appointment, then go set up the tent and tombola, as I cant get there before 10am on the Friday, and it starts then.

I will be glad when its all over and Monday is here again!  I hope to keep this up but if not will see you Monday.


2 comments:

  1. You've certainly got a lot on this weekend Lynda. Don't overtire yourself, you need to keep some energy for yourself too.

    Good luck.
    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley, it is a bit of a busy one - not got much free time at all (ok, none, just here to check email really). Custer done very well, and met a new trainer today - he is a gundog trainer, and an amazing guy.

    ReplyDelete